03 February 2009

It's so good to be back!

So. I'm back at York! :D 

Actually, I was back yesterday, but a combination of being busy and being lazy and the fact that 24 was on really prevented me from writing anything (or doing any homework). 

It was so fantastic to be back yesterday. I was so happy to see the hustle and bustle. Everyone I know was in high spirits about being back (though there are occasional grumblings, not to mention the whole campaign to have YFS President Osman impeached). There were random camera crews everywhere though. It was annoying. I wish they would have just left us alone to continue our education in peace. They don't seem to be around today though. A good thing, in my opinion. Maybe the snow chased them away! (Speaking of which, it def took us TWO HOURS to get here today, as opposed to the usual forty minutes) 

Classes were good. Professor Lewis was happy to see us and we reviewed about 6 chapters of Latin. I think I'm going to be okay for the exam - I completed up to Chapter 16 on my own and we're only doing 14 by midterm. We've got an assignment for winter term though, damn.

Greek was fun because it's always been a very relaxed atmosphere as it is. Dionysos was up to his usual antics. Being friends with Viki now makes it more fun as well. I sat in a row with her, Sarah, Natalia, Elias, and Frank (the latter two are random Greek guys who major in kines, Elias in second year and Frank in third year). It's just fun and better than Sarah and I sitting in drowsy isolation in our little row, or in the row behind it when the Greeks took it. But now they shan't since they're our friends :D What saddened me about Greek class was that Surtees looks like she must have dropped 10 to 15 pounds since the strike started. She wasn't big as it is. It's sad, because it means she just didn't have enough money to pay for both rent and food since she's contract. :( Poor CUPEs. I love them all. Anyway, we have to be up to Chapter 12 by midterm - nice, since I'm at Chapter 11!

After Greek was a five-hour break. I spent the first hour eating lunch alone, but then was joined by Natalia, Mike, and Viki at 12:30. Viki ended up leaving after a while but the other two and I just chilled in Vari killing that time. It goes by sooooooo slowly. But it's nice to spend it with them because we have a lot of random fun :D 

Anna came to visit at around 4:15 so I took her to Myth lecture. Myth lecture was like a speed-analysis through Books 18-24 of The Iliad. Tordoff was lecturing, naturally, despite his obvious case of the sniffles. He even read from the ancient Greek again, his accent is TOO funny. Surtees would be appalled! Then we got some fantastic fucking news about the new syllabus. Our Iliad essay isn't due til the 18th. YESSSS. I'm at 453 words already. Some people haven't even started to read The Iliad. I am AHEAD! Also, we ARE having a midterm, but we don't have a final exam for that course :O We all clapped. Amazing! Instead we'll have two in-tutorial assignments as well as a test at the end of classes (second-last week of May-ish).

Today I've just got history - lecture at 11:30 and tutorial with COLIN!


[AUTHOR'S NOTE - I definitely had a whole paragraph here about my history course but for some reason it didn't post so I guess I'll write it again later, fack]

I just hope it's not due the 18th like The Iliad one. It'd be nice if it's due after the exam break so I'd have that time to work on it.

A bit of good news - History of Astronomy is offered in the SU term :) I am probably going to take it. It'd be more practical to take it this year just because I'd rather save next year for working completely full-time the full four months. I do plan to work this summer but obviously not completely full-time. I really want to get a job on/ around campus, that way Mom can drive me here and home everyday. I could actually work Monday to Friday. Because I want weekends off, damn it! Is that so much to ask for? Only problem is that Dad is bent on going up to the Koufis' cottage for a week, but if I have a course, no can do. I'll probably stay with Mom's Greek friend Betty. Which would be good if I have a job around here since she lives right at Sentinel and Four Winds. It will give me so much freedom :D Or I could stay at Anna's but I'm not sure how that will work. We'll see. 

So I'm just chilling in the Student Centre for now. It's getting more lively at this hour. More people showing up. The usual buzz :P Good to be back!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yup yup those are our enticing books. but we;re going to see a play for ne of them... not sure which one though. but that should be interesting. i agree that the camera crews would be annoying, but the good thing about them is you can always take full advantage of them and follow THEM around during your breaks. wouldnt that get annoying for them?? 5 hours of footage of the same person?? i would enjoy it, but hey, thats jsut me :)

Leah said...

Haha actually they were filming us at one point... they were being really creepy about it too. My friend Natalia said, "I think they're looking for people who look upset", so she put on a really sad face, but my friend Mike and I broke out into huge grins and gave the cameraman the thumbs up haha.